Spirituality

|
I was just chatting to this guy I know via MSN… and he was asking me about going to a temple. Now I know the only reason he spoke to ‘me’ of all people about it is because apparently I have some how joined the band wagon of poster girls for Maldivian controversy… but what really annoyed me was how he spoke of it as if it was a very extreme, shocking, creepy, outrageous thing he was about to do. It absolutely baffled me.
What on earth was the big deal?
Oh yeah yeah, we saw allegedly saw pictures of a certain politicians daughter kneeling down in front of Buddha in a temple and all that jazz… Honestly, truly I see nothing wrong. The whole experience is complete by experiencing their ceremonies, there is no point of going to watch from 20 yards away, in that case TV should suffice… after all these religions are not some little cults; they have history, culture… It took me a while to figure out what the buzz was about!
I would love to go to a Buddhist or a Hindu temple;, especially the old gorgeous ones. I have been to countless Mosques (which is also supposedly touchy, me being a woman) and beautiful gothic, Victorian churches. And I fail to see the wrong in that.
It is so annoying because this guy keeps talking as if he's doing something so BBAAAAADDDD... (Knowing Maldivian male philosophy he thinks it subsequently makes him cool – please lah, get a reality check) and I feel like injecting the motherfucker with a good dose of heroin or something. If he so fucking wants to be doing something 'wrong'… ya know?
Hinduism and Buddhism are both widely misunderstood by Muslim communities. I mean you can go on hating but do you even know what Om means?? The chant itself has a very, very complex association with the religion but in any case, what it defines has basically the same meanings we associate with Allah. Om is the Hindhu symbol of the absolute (correct me if I’m wrong please) – isn’t that the very word we are also using? And I am not doing anything wrong by linking the two religions. All the major religions of the world have many similarities. It is wrong for us to divide ourselves so vehemently.
This disassociation with each other has caused eons of hatred and violence. All religions are based on a divine existence, finding peace within one self, being good human beings, loving one another. So it does not matter whether I walk into a temple or a mosque or a church, it does not matter whether young Maldivian kids watch movies and chant along to Om Jai Jagdish because all they are saying is that they believe in their God, it does not specify any God... in fact once you observe the translation you should be noticing that it is totally synonymous with Muslim beliefs.
It really irks me. I hate the word Kafir. At least the way it is used by Maldivians. It is more than a word, it is even worse that a characterisation or stereotype – it is a judgement. And it is wrong.
There are many good people I have met and whom I love who, simply put, do not recite the same prayers that I do. All prayer is about self reflection, humbleness, hope, faith and forgiveness. For betterment of our lives, to better ourselves… for harmony, for peace, for love… does it matter what words we say or which direction we face? I say true religion comes from the heart, and it is only the heart that matters.
I have met many a fellow Muslim who has caused me nothing but pain. In fact everyday in Malaysia I face discrimination that because I have Indian looks I have no right to be Muslim. I thought Islam was about the Ummath coming together. Apparently some people don’t think so.
One must seek knowledge. Seriously, experience all sorts of rituals. Read about different beliefs. All you will discover is that we are all not much different. Something’s may seem strange, but then consider their reasoning’s, the culture of the environment and other factors and do not ridicule them. If you are so narrow minded that you must confer and confide about a simple visit to a religious area, then you are already a lost cause. Step off your high and mighty pedestal and join us humble folk. Whatever you wear, a cross or a crescent or a star… the symbol itself does not make you better than anybody else. Again, it’s what is inside you that counts. Yeah man, its’ down to our soul man… Hehe…
(On that note, you might seriously want to meditate readers, its so good for the soul, you could try it via Hindu or Buddhist methods, or any other forms of doing it… or even the simple Namaadh is really a meditation too)
The fact is that even Islam has many deviations. Shock. Horror. How many centuries has it been? Of course there are deviations. We are only human, and we carry the legacy. While maintaining our own moral values and beliefs is vital, it is far more important to stop judging other people, and to start judging ourselves.

(But please, don't just light up a joint and claim to be a rastafarian because you have dreads okay? Thats so lame. That aint experiencing another culture. That's loosing your identity. There is a difference. If you are curious, wikipedia it.)

16 comments:

aesha said...

its all inside ourselves that matters..nothing else...gud post Rae ^_^

Kaainaath said...

(in the same context) whats so wrong in a joint that make us lose our identity?

Anonymous said...

woah varah deep :) makes ya really think bout all the stupid remarks we sometimes make bout other peoples cultures.

Anonymous said...

Damn,you are a really good writer & yea i agree with you.Intresting post. keep em coming;)

Thom said...

Yusuf --> READ: smoke a joint and claim to be a rastafari. :P Thats something else man.

Aaaaaaand, thanks you guys. :)

Iya said...

i've been to a big ass hindhu temple. it was a great experience. just to observe the spirituality from another point of view was a very ... interesting experience. havent been to a church. i would like to, though. and i'd really like to meet a buddist monk one day. gotta hand it to those guys, they made a religion out of being hippies. kudos in my book.

i know what i am and thats what matters. fuck everyone else. and sounds to me like this maldivian guy was looking for greatness but achieved lame-ness.like so many guys out there.

not everyone is me. me = awesome.

Kaainaath said...

Rasta as far as I know is a kinda religious belief with a lot of crap like all other religions, along with a lot of good...

As for me a religion can be a part of someone's belief but should not define him... Hence believing in part or whole of another religion cannot take away your identity...

It's all brain washing...

Anonymous said...

why do you ignore the extremists?

Thom said...

Yusuf, you are missing the point completely as usual. I meant it in the same way I would say church eh kurimathee soleebeh alhain huttakas its pathetic eh hama dhen gaddaa vaan kuranyaa. Now do u get me?
*Rolls her eyes*
Iya - round of applause
Anonymous - I dont hate extremists, I hate that they hate other people. And you know what else I don't like? Anynonymous commenters.
Lack of identity. Etc

Kaainaath said...

well, my point is, first how do you know someone is kandhenkan kuranee ey or they believe it from their heart? and just because someone wears a cross does why does it make him loose his identity as a Muslim? how can you judge someones identity from what they wear? visit? or even act?

I respect your thoughts! until the end where it says "That aint experiencing another culture. That's loosing your identity. There is a difference. If you are curious, wikipedia it.)"

I mean it is experiencing another culture! And it does not have to loose anyones identity in doing so!

Anyways, peace, dear!

Anonymous said...

"Anonymous - I dont hate extremists, I hate that they hate other people. And you know what else I don't like? Anynonymous commenters.
Lack of identity. Etc" - Thom

then you shouldn't allow "anynonymous" comments.
maldives is too small a country for me reveal my identity.

and it's spelt "Lose"

Thom said...

I make mistakes, I don't bother with spell check all the time. It happens. :P
Anonymous. I don't like it, but I don't fight it. LOL.
Chill lah bro! :P

Anonymous said...

good piece:)

http://www.dar-us-salam.com/TheNobleQuran/
6. "To you be your religion, and to me my religion (Isl�mic Monotheism)."
Surah 109, Verse 6

-rae ge nonbio appa:P

moyameehaa said...

i dont find any necessity in having more imaginary friends or recognise other's imaginary friends too. there is no way you can say Allah is same as Brahma, maybe Yahweh and Allah are same. All these Gods and religions have things in common only because they all originated from a common place (human mind) for the common reason (making sense of this world and others).In all holy texts we find good as well as bad things.We find moral guideline. but this does not mean our morality and ethics have its roots in these ancient books (which also contains hell lot of barbaric bullcrap). It also does not mean we will have to follow either one or some or all of these. Taking religion as a part of our culture and taking part in its activities is not the same as doing so while believing to achieve something higher, a place in paradise or something. The satisfaction we feel by meditating is not the result of believing in certain things like a personal God or hell or heaven. Its the result of concentrating, its from within our selves, our minds...not from and imaginary throne above.

and one more thing...i dont think there is anyway a muslim can do all those things. because the very meaning of being a muslim is to deny other deities and religions and committing one's self to Allah alone.we all know Yahweh is a jealous one.but sufis however found this different. most sufis like Rumi, and people like Omar Khayyam are not muslims from an orthodox point of view.and last anonymous, lakum dheenukum waliyadheen was from the makki period and does no longer make sense when included in a book with several ayah in the opposite direction. we cant just pick and choose from holy texts. if so, why choose at all...just make up your own to your linking. i reccomend you read "end of faith by sam harris, where in the last two chapters he kinda discuss spirituality without religion. like in buddism...buddism is not really a realigion, buddah never claimed to know truths about the creator.he concentrated on human mind and behaviour.but this does not mean buddism is free from errors.

and about that gaddaavaa point i get it..and agree too. some even convert to Christianity for the same reason. It seems to be a very kool thing to do. but weed is not uncool i guess.. gaddaavaan smokin weed is maybe. wel..thats totally another topic.good to seeya bloggin again. :D

Thom said...

moyameehaa- in short to the looong comment, to each his own aye? opinions wise. my main point was in hatred and differences... but i see where you're coming from... thanks, :D i do appreciate ur input

Anonymous said...

i hope i wnt b labelled by this. bt theres one point i dnt quite agree wit u thom, bt then again u mite nt care.. hehe bt nwy jus let me tel u y. goin to ceremonies of other religions is no problem i gues, bt participating in those i suppose, it is. i have seen tht picture of a girl kneeling down infront of budhdha & thts... nt rite. thts compromising religion. kneeling down is an act of worship honey. goin to a such ceremony, churches, temples & the lyks is no problem. ur appreciating art & culture of another religion. theres nothing wrong wit it. bt participating in it, thts a different matter.

there r similarities between other religions & islam. i strongly agree wit u there. & the religions bein based on divine existence, tht is true.. jus tht their beliefs on this matter is different.

one surprising similarity. i dnt claim to b a religious person, bt frm wat i knw tht there is a sayin in the highest insciptions of hindu scriptures (dnt knw the name).. tht goes smt lyk 'ekkam ividhiththiyam', which means "god is one"..

& i gues moyameeha isnt so moya after all.. nice one man.. :)

Post a Comment

So let me know if you have something to say...